After a recent server upgrade my ftp server stopped working, checking the log files showed no errors and so on the ‘off chance’ i decided to reboot the server as it had updated a number of critical files.
The server rebooted and everything came back on line, apart from proftpd, this was confusing to say the least.
I finally decided to go through the config file with a fine tooth comb and can across the line:
The spelling looked wrong so i added an ‘e’ to the end and tried to restart the service and no still failed with mo messages, so i decided to remove the line and restart again, this time it started perfectly.
It looks like a recent version upgrade removes this option from the settings and caused my error.